Ph. 07 808 0889 (Waikato) or 09 889 0238 (Auckland) | | 中文简介 | Afrikaans | 한국어 | ភាសាខ្មែរ | Español | Français

China Special Work Category

The China Special Work Category is for Chinese nationals who are qualified as chefs, traditional Chinese medicine practitioners, Mandarin teachers’ aides, Wushu martial arts coaches or tour guides.

The benefits of applying for a China Special Work category visa include no labour market check, faster processing, the ability to transfer to another visa (including residence) and no minimum language requirement unless you’re applying as a tour guide.

If you are a Chinese citizen and have a job offer in an occupation listed above, get in touch to discuss the next steps in applying for a work visa.

Essential Skills Work Visa

If you have a job offer you could consider making an application for a work visa under the Essential Skills category.

If you make an application under this category you will be assessed against New Zealand’s labour market requirements. So, with your application, you will also need to provide (or your prospective employer will need to provide) evidence that they have attempted to recruit a local New Zealander for the position that you have been offered.

You will also need to be able to prove that you are suitably qualified to do the job.

If you meet the criteria, there is still a chance that your application under this category may not be approved due to changing immigration policies. Get in touch to discuss your options.

Partnership based work visa

If you are in a genuine and stable partnership with a New Zealand citizen or resident you could apply for a work visa based on that partnership. Immigration New Zealand will only grant a work visa under this category if they are satisfied that your partnership is genuine and stable, so  you will need to provide proof of the partnership to Immigration New Zealand.

If you are successful in being granted a visa under the category you might consider making an application for residence under the partnership category as the criteria for residence is similar.

Study to Work

The Study to Work visa allows international students to extend their time in New Zealand to work after they have finished their studies. There are 2 sub categories of this visa:

  1. A 12 month open work visa that allows the visa holder to work for an unspecified employer.
  2. A 24 month work visa that allows the visa holder to work for a specified employer, relevant to their course of study.

Both sub categories have their own set of criteria to meet. If you have just finished your studies and would like to know if you can get a work visa, get in touch.

Working Holiday 

Working Holiday visas are available for young people from specific countries. Travellers from different countries will have different criteria to meet. Currently, the Working Holiday scheme is available to young people from the following countries:

• Argentina
• Austria
• Belgium
• Brazil
• Canada
• Chile
• China
• Croatia
• Czech Republic
• Denmark
• Estonia
• Finland
• France
• Germany
• Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
• Hungary
• Ireland
• Israel
• Italy
• Japan
• Korea
• Latvia
• Malaysia
• Malta
• Mexico
• Netherlands
• Norway
• Peru
• Philippines
• Poland
• Singapore (work exchange programme)
• Slovakia
• Slovenia
• Spain
• Sweden
• Taiwan
• Thailand
• Turkey
• United Kingdom
• United States of America
• Uruguay
• Vietnam

If you are a young person from one of the countries listed and would like to apply for a Working Holiday visa, get in touch to discuss the criteria for your country.

Work to Residence

There is an option of making an application for a work visa for 24 months with the intention of working through those 24 months until you can apply for residence, if you meet the criteria in one of the following categories:

  1. If you can get a job offer from an accredited employer
  2. If you have a talent in a declared field of art, culture or sport
  3. If you have a job offer for a job that is included on the long term shortage list

Each sub category has a specific criteria to meet. If you think you may qualify for one of the sub categories, get in touch to discuss your situation further.

Silver Fern

There are two Silver Fern work visas – the Silver Fern Job Search and Silver Fern Practical Experience. If you are young and skilled you could consider one of the Silver Fern work visas.

  1. The Silver Fern Job Search visa allows people to enter New Zealand for nine months to search for skilled employment. There is a limit of 300 places per year.
  2. Holders of Silver Fern Job Search visas who successfully find skilled employment in New Zealand may apply for a Silver Fern Practical Experience visa. This allows them to work in that job for up to two years.